Click on question to view the answer!
By now, we all know that every time we browse the internet, download a song or movie, or even open an email on our phones, laptops, or any devices connected to the internet, we are consuming our monthly data allowance.
But most of us are uncertain as to how much data we are really using. For this reason, too many of us end up not having enough data that will last till the end of the month.
In this guide we take a look at how you can easily work out how much data you really need and make sure you are on the right service plan with a suitable amount of data.
We will also look at some of the terminology around data allowances, so you have a full understanding of what they mean.
Before we get into working out how much data you need, we want you to have a full understanding of the terminology for measuring units of data, which in turn is used to tell you how much data you get with your monthly subscription.
This stands for megabyte and is made up of 1024 kilobytes.
This stands for a Gigabyte. 1024 megabytes makes up one GB.
Checking how much data you are consuming is easy. All you need to do is sign-up or log-in to the self-service portal on our website: (https://self-service.ipnxnigeria.net/)
Once you are logged-in, you will be able to see how much data you have used so far this month, as well as in previous months
A quicker way to get an idea what sort of data allowance you need is to check which of these user profiles you match.
Low data user - 'I will use it every so often, to keep up with friends and interesting news'
- You like to look at web pages, or check your email
- You check your Facebook or Twitter online reasonably often, but not for videos
- You do not play a lot of games or download music
- You may occasionally engage in online chatting or rarely watch videos
- You are unlikely to use your internet for more than an hour a day
Sound like you? If so, you are a low data user and should select from the lower range of service plans.
Medium data user- 'I need it for my email, social media and for entertainment’
- You download email daily
- You spend quite a bit of time browsing the internet, and download a few games or applications a month
- You like to watch videos on online streaming sites such as YouTube every so often and perhaps download a few songs and files too
Sound familiar? That means you are classified as a medium data user and should select from the middle range of service plans. Please visit our website www.ipnxnigeria.net to view all service plans.
Heavy data user -'I use the internet for both entertainment and work'
- You send and receive quite a few emails daily, often with attachments
- You watch videos online several times a week and are likely to download a lot of applications and games as well as music
- You also make extensive use of music streaming services, such as Spotify or Apple Music
- You rely on your internet for work as well as communication with friends and family for several hours daily
Does that match your usage habits? If yes, that means you are classified as a heavy user and should select from the higher range of service plans. Please visit our website www.ipnxnigeria.net to view all service plans.
Calculating exactly how much data you will need is not easy. But you can get a very good idea if you know how much data you use up every time you check your emails and browse web pages or download movies and stream songs.
Below you will find a list of common things you will use the internet for and approximately how much data they will use up:
- Watching a 2hr movie in standard definition 1.9GB
- Watching a 2hr movie in high-definition 4.2GB
- Streaming 1hr of video on Netflix or iPlayer 644MB
- Gaming online for 1hr 43MB
- Streaming music for 1hr 80MB
- 60 web pages 140MB
- Download one song 4-8MB
- Download one film trailer 60-100MB
With this information and an honest assessment of how you use your data, you should be able to make a good estimate at how much data you will require.
Some customers end up paying for more data than they actually use. To ensure you get value for your money, we allow customers to rollover any unused data from a previous month to the next month.
If you exceed your monthly data allowance, your subscription will be suspended immediately, until you renew. This will not apply if you are subscribed to any of our unlimited plans.
This is a policy designed to prevent fraud and abuse of our network. The policy ensures that every customer gets their fair share of the network. To give all customers optimum service, irrespective of network demand, we have a Fair Usage Policy covering monthly usage allowances. Click here for our fair usage policy: http://www.ipnxnigeria.net/pages/fair_usage_policy